Whether it is newly-created leave policy or system built-in leave policy, you need to come back to the fourth page of leave policy setting - [Add Leave Type], for checking leave type one by one, editing or adding a new one.
In the first step of leave policy setting tutorial, we mentioned there are 5 ways to calculate leave quota. You need to make different settings according to different calculation methods.
We prepared four cases to demonstrate detailed settings for you.
1. Annual Leave - Adjust Annual Leave According to Working Years
In detailed setting page, we could set the leave quota first:
If every employee in your company gets annual leave from the start of job, and the annual leave quota is fixed (e.g. 12 days), you just need to click [+Add] , input information as following picture:
If you company's annual leave quota will increase as working years, for example, the employee has 12 days of annual leave from the start of work. There's an additional leave day for each full year of work, the maximum is 16 days. You can [+ Add] one by one according to the picture below:
After leave quota setting is done, let's get in to the part of 【Pro Rata Calculation Method】:
We use a case to demonstrate how to make settings correctly:
We suppose that your company annual leave system is as follows:
The employee gets 12 days of annual leave from the start of work. The employees who join in the company in the middle of the year, the annual quota is calculated of a pro rata actual work days of the year.
The annual leave quota is issued monthly and is distributed at the beginning of the month.
The company takes calendar year as annual cycle, from January 1 to December 31
According to the above annual leave system, the setting in the system is as follows (Items in red circle represents that you need to make settings as your company actual need. Items in blue circle represents the regular setting if there's no need to make special adjustments):
Detailed instruction of above settings：
Monthly means distributing the annual quota to employees month by month
Yearly means distributing the annual quota to employees year by year
2. Leave Quota Distribution Time: choose Cycle Start Date or Cycle End Date
The cycle here is related to [Interval]. If Interval is Monthly, the cycle should be one month. If Interval is Yearly, the cycle should be one year.
Choosing [Cycle Start Date], means distributing the annual leave quota of the month/year on the first day of the month/ year
Choosing [Cycle End Date], means distributing the annual leave quota of the month/year on the last day of the month/ year
3. The start time of leave year is【Leave Year】:
The system usually uses calendar year by default, e.g. January 1 of each year is the start time and December 31 is the end time.
Most company calculate the annual leave based on calendar year. If your company has different cycle, you can make adjustment here.
4. 【Display up to how many decimal places?】 & 【Rounding Rules】: This means how many decimals displayed and the rounding rules of leave balance.
For example, the calculation result of annual leave balance of the month are 1.3456 days and 1.564 days respectively. If you choose "0" in [Display up to how many decimal places?], the leave balance will be showed respectively:
Round up: 2 days / 2 days
Round down: 1 day / 2 days
Round off: 1 day / 1 day
Notice ⚠️ :The usual practice in Hong Kong is 0 decimal place and [Round up]
5. The calculation formula of leave quota of the cycle： For new recruits, how to calculate their leave balance in the cycle (related to interval choosing, by month/year) pro rata based on their entry date.
365 (Fixed): take 365 as the fixed number of days of the calendar year
365 or 366 (Automic for leap years): the system judges the total calendar days of the year automatically
260 or 261 (Automic for leap years): the system judges the total work days of the year automatically
260 (Fixed): take 260 as the fixed number of work days of the year
365.25 (Average with leap years): calculate the average total calendar days of the year in four years
6. How many days after joining the company can the employee applying for leaves? (In days)：
The default setting is , which means the employee can apply for the leave on the first day after joining the company. If the setting is , it means the employee cannot apply for the leave until he or she has worked in the company for 90 days. Please notice, the setting that employee cannot apply for the leave doesn't mean there's no leave quota. During the trial period, the system will generate corresponding leave quota according to the Labour Law. But employee cannot apply for the leave until the trial period is finished.
7. Minimum Hours：If the leave is calculated in days, inputting [0.5] here means the leave application minimum time is 0.5 days.
8. Carry Forward to Next Year and Maximum Carry Forward Days：
If you choose【No】, it means the leave quota is available only in the year. The rest part of leave entitlement that employee didn't apply for is not available in the next year any more.
If you choose【open】, it means the leave quota that employee didn't apply for can be transferred to the next year. Set the Maximum Carry Forward Days as , it represents the leave balance that can be transferred to the next year should be no more than 5 days.
Picture - Other Setting（Default）
9. Allow Exceeding Limit: The default setting is【No】, which means there's no limitation for time of leave application.
10. When employees apply for continuous leave overlapping with non-working or public holidays, count them towards the balance: The default setting is【No], which means the rest days and public holidays during the leave will not be counted as leave and the leave balance will not be deducted.
11. Limit dates to apply: The default setting is【No】, which means there's no date limitation for leave application. The employee can apply for the leave at any time. If the setting is【Yes】, you can click the button [+ New] and add start date and end date to limit the leave application date. It means the employee cannot apply for the leave during this period.
2. Full Pay Sick Leave - Fixed Yearly/Monthly Quota
Welfare Sick Leave (paid) - Fixed Leave Quota By Year or By Month
Take Full Paid Sick Leave as example, many companies will give employees 1-2 days of full paid sick leave per month, accumulated 12-24 days of full paid sick leave per year (different from consecutive sick leave).
If the leave quota is released monthly with one day quota per month and the leave quota is generated at the end of the month.
You can refer to this setting：
If the leave quota is released yearly with 12-day quota per year and the leave quota is generated at the beginning of the year.
You can refer to this setting：
For other items, you can refer to the previous settings of annual leave (leave quota by working years).
3. Paid Maternity Leave - One-time leave
According to Hong Kong's labor laws, eligible employees are entitled to a total of 14 weeks of paid maternity leave.
Fill in【98】in 【No. of One-time Leave Days】here.
The paid maternity leave cannot be applied until the employee has worked for 40 weeks in the company. Therefore, fill in【280】days in【How many days after joining the company can the employee start applying for leaves? (In days)】
Because the days of maternity leave is so long, including weekends and public holidays. So we suggest you choose【Yes】in【When employees apply for continuous leaves overlapping with non-working or public holidays, count them towards the balance】.
4. No Pay Leave - Unlimited Leave
Considering it is an unlimited leave type, there's no need to do settings of quota.
You only need to set：
【How many days after joining the company can the employee start applying for leaves? (In days) 】and 【Minimum Hours】
【When employees apply for continuous leaves overlapping with non-working or public holidays, count them towards the balance】
【Limit dates to apply】
Important Notice ⚠️:
There's no quota for unlimited leave, the unlimited leave will not show up on the page of【Leave Balance】
The unlimited leave can not be found on the page【Check Balance】in the Staff App. The employee can see it only in the drop-down menu when applying for leave.
After you finished Leave Policy settings, you can start to assign leave policy to employees and generate leave quota. For detailed operation, you can refer the Fourth Step to Set Leave: Generate Leave Quota