Generally, employees will submit leave applications via the Staff App by themselves. In order to reduce manual work, Workstem system provides [Import] leave application function. You can import an excel file with leave application records to the system. This function only applies to:
- Importing leave application historical records of employees at the very beginning of using Workstem.
- Need to import more than 20 leave application records.
Like manually added leave applications, imported leave applications also deduct employees' leave balance. If data is wrong, you are able to edit or delete the application, then you can get back the deducted leave balance.
This guide will introduce how to use [Import] functions to add leave applications in detail.
You can download an excel file named "LeaveApplication-template" by clicking [Leave] > [Leave Application] > [Import] > [Download template] in the pop-up window.
Open the downloaded template > Input required data > Save
- Employee: required. You can input employee display name, staff ID or employee email address. If you have employees with the same name, then you need to input staff ID or employee email address
- Leave type: required. You can select leave type in the dropdown menu.
- Start Date: required. It is the start date of the leave
- Start Time: required. It is the start time of the leave. You can select AM or PM in the dropdown menu.
- End Date: required. It is the end date of the leave
- End Time: required. It is the end time of the leave. AM or PM can be chosen in the dropdown menu.
- Reason: optional. It is the reason why employees submit leave application
Case 1: If one of your employees takes half-day off, you need to select the same day in start date and end date and select AM or PM in both of Start time and End time
Case 2: If one of your employees takes one-day off, you need to select the same day in start date and end date, AM for Start time, and PM for End time.
Case 3: If your employee takes multiple-days off, then you input data in Start date, End date, Start time, and End time based on the actual situation.
There are some leave types which are already in the "leave type" column. So what you can choose is in the dropdown menu. But if you have customised leave types, like "Carried Forward Leave," then please add customised leaves with the following steps:
If you don't want some of built-in leave types, you can delete them with the above steps.
You can import leave application records by clicking [Select a File] in the pop-up window of Import. Select the excel file with leave application records.
After finishing the above steps, you can successfully import leave application records into the system in bulk. If failed, it will show:
Click on [click here to download the bug report] to download an excel file named "ErrorExcel". You are able to know the reason for failure on the very right of the file. You can revise the data in the file according to the reason.
Common Reasons for the Failure of Import Timesheet Records
Employee must be not null: The employee name input in the file does not match the data in the system, or the employee name input in the file is not in the system yet.
The minimum leave time for this type of vacation is 0.5: the employee does not need to work if the day to apply for leave is rest day.
Holiday type is not available: the leave type in the excel file does not match leave type which is set in the system
Insufficient leave balance: the usable balance of this leave type is less than days the employee applies to take day off.
The start time cannot be after the end time: the start date or end date in the excel file is wrong
Importing leave application records influences leave balance, and there will be historical data in the system if they are deleted. Therefore, we suggest you to use [Import] function with the help of our CS Team.